Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. Did you know there is a national day of pretty much everything in the universe? Feb 23rd happens to be National Inconvenience Yourself Day...when was the last time you were inconvenienced?
--This is a hard one. The last time i've inconvenienced myself? or the last time i've been inconvenienced in general? I don't generally inconvenience myself (usually if i don't want to do something, i just don't do it; or i find a way to make myself want to do it) nor do i think of others' requests as an inconvenience to me. Sometimes when i have to do something for my kids when i'm busy with something else, i feel inconvenienced. But mostly i just do it without thought of inconvenience.


2. When a room in your house needs painting, who does the job?
--The last time the two large common rooms in the house needed to be painted, i paid Matt and his friend to to it (cheap labor, lol). Before that, Steve was the painter of the house. I don't remember the last time i actually painted a wall. The bathroom is getting redone soon, i wonder who will be painting that? Stay tuned to find out :-)
 
3.Are you friends with your cousins?
--Absolutely! Well, at least with the cousins who are my age. I have been very close to two of my cousins throughout my life. My cousin Beth, who is only 5 months younger than me, and i have always been close. I lived with her when i was a young adult, we raised a couple of our kids at the same time, spent hours on the phone together when we were young mothers, and still have a good relationship. I am sad that i don't get to see her or talk to her as much as we used to, but we live a thousand miles apart now. Whenever i visit, though, we have a great time together.
My cousin Shannon, who is 4 years younger than me, and i have also been very close when i was younger. I lived with her and her mom when i was an older teen and really enjoyed (most of the time, lol) having a younger sister. In fact, we refer to each other as "cisters"--a cross between cousin and sister--and i still consider her to be like a younger sister to me. She also lives far away from me, so i don't get to see her near enough, but she calls me now and than and we catch up over the phone.
I have 5 younger cousins, who i hardly get to see. But i'm sure we would get along really great if we saw each other more often. I am face-book-friends with two of them and i need to try harder to connect with them.
I love family!
 
 
3.Do you use an alarm clock-if yes, is it an actual alarm, music or something else?
Funny question...yes, i use an alarm clock on most days, except Saturday. It's actually a very loud, annoying voice that screams through my phone saying "COME ON GET UP! IT'S TIME TO GET UP! GET OUT OF BED, COME ON GET UP! All while a horn blares like a fire alarm. It definitely helps me get up quickly! I am a terrible morning person. It's takes me a while to get motivated to start my day, since i sleep so badly, i never feel like it's enough when it's time to wake up.


4.What do you put ketchup on?
--I could put it on almost anything. Meat, side dishes, eggs...

5. What smells make you nostalgic?
--Suntan lotion, pipe tobacco, motor oil, cigarette smoke, baby bath, the smell of a home-cooked meal.
6.Did you hear about the high school English teacher recently suspended for some things she wrote on her personal blog? You can read the story here but in a nutshell she vented a lot of frustration onto her blog. She didn't mention individual students by name but she did make some harsh comments about kids in general and their parents.
What are your thoughts-if you're a parent is your child's teacher online and are you a 'friend' or 'follower' there? If you're a teacher are you on facebook and do you accept or friend students there? How about their parents?
--I am a parent of children who are in public school and a teacher of one my children for home school. I think the teacher was maybe harsh in the words she chose in her frustration, but perfectly within her rights to say what she said. She didn't use any names or break any privacy rules. She voiced her opinion and frustration on her personal blog. I think it's ridiculous that she got suspended for that. I have a cousin who works as a teacher, and i sense his frustration with the school system and some of the kids in his classroom. But i also know that he enjoys teaching. The kids in public schools can rant and rave against their teachers, not just on social media, but directly to their teacher's faces...and nothing happens to them. Should a teacher get suspended for venting her frustration without naming names? I don't think so. And according to the comments on the news story, 92 percent of the readers agree that she should not have gotten in trouble.
8. Insert your own random thought here
This has been a long post, but my random thought is this: i spent a lot of time reading some of my old posts from when this blog was new, and i really want to start blogging about what is going on in my life again...if for nothing else than for my own personal journaling and to keep in touch with my family. Whom i miss terribly.


If you want to join this meme for hodgepodge Wednesdays, you can join our host here: http://joyce-fromthissideofthepond.blogspot.com/2011/02/conveniently-its-wednesday-hodgepodge.html

No comments:

Post a Comment