Monday, September 21, 2009

A Busy Week

Its been a while since my last post so i thought i would take a break from studying for my upcoming HUGE ethics class and do some blogging.
To update on my last blog entry, Rachel went to the Doctor for her leg pain and we got some blood tests done to make sure she wasn't vitamin deficient or something like that. The doctor said that if the tests came back normal, then we should consult with a Neurologist about her leg movements. I'm not sure that we will actually do that, because at this point, her leg pains/movements come and go and it seems to be getting better. However, the levels for her thyroid came back a little wonky, so the doctor wants us to get her retested in a couple weeks and then come back to the office and talk about what should be done if the levels are still too high. I'm not surprised about her thyroid being a little off, because she has a family history of thyroid problems on both sides (both grandmothers), however, she is kind of young to have thyroid problems. Plus, she does have some symptoms of a wacky thyroid, and maybe some medicine would help. At this point, it's just wait and see.
Matthew's doctor said that his knee will not need surgery, thank God, but he will have to go through some painful stretches every day to get back to normal. I'm not really sure what the problem is, but it has something to do with the tendons in his leg being wound way too tight. He has been faithfully doing his stretches once or twice a day and is still experiencing some significant pain, so we are going back to the doctor in the beginning of October. I'm not really sure how i feel about this particular doctor because he is the type who has no problem telling his teenage patient to "suck it up" and Matt isn't sure that the dr.'s diagnosis was correct because he is still hurting. He feels that there just has to be something wrong if he has been this uncomfortable for this long. I feel bad for Matt because he lost the opportunity to get a part in the fall play because the director thought Matt might have to be on crutches for a while. Now we know he won't be on crutches, but it is too late for him to get a part. And Matt was really, really looking forward to being in the fall play this year. In fact, he decided to give up football this year so that he could try his hand at acting, and now he can't do either. He still can not participate in Basketball workouts because he is hurting, and so now he is kind of down about the whole thing. Right now, he can really use our prayers. Even though his attitude remains great, of course, i can tell that he's been feeling a bit down.
Erin has been talking about maybe wanting to maybe go away for college next year. Which is great, but i'm not sure it is a reality or not because we waited so long to start looking and she did not take her SAT tests last year. She has her eye on Drexel University in Philly. I would love for her to experience going away to college, but i'm not sure how to start or even if it is too late. She got a letter from Drexel about open houses next month. After this week is over (it's a VERY busy week for me) I am going to invest some time and research to find out what we need to do next. I would hope and pray that her being in the number one position in her class GPA-wise would get her a scholarship. But, who knows what else it takes. Probably some SAT grades would help. She finally relented and said she would take the SAT's this fall, but it would have been great if she had taken them last year. She is not comfortable taking tests, so i am on the look-out for some good, fast SAT prep courses. I think I saw one on my friend Debbie's blog, so we will have to go check that out next week too.
As i said, this week is a busy one for me. Tomorrow, i have a lunch date with Matt, i think we are going to waffle house. I am looking forward to it, because we have not spent quality time together in a while. Then, i need to go down to my college and practice taping my "intake counseling" session with my partner. I am really, really nervous about this tape and the fact that i am being graded on it. I am not comfortable with the counseling style we are being graded on, as it just feels fake to me. But, it's what i have to do. Then, i have to meet with my TUA adviser about some fund-raising issues, get some studying in for a quiz and go to class from 5:30 to 10. Wednesday I will finish studying for that big ethics test while Rachel is schooling and then go to school from 5-9. Thursday is Rachel's Three M class and I have to work my mandatory day in the nursery that day. Then i need to meet with my partner again to actually do the tape for our session and then hopefully make it to bible study. Friday I need to work on some things for TUA and then go down to do race-cleanup for a PTK fundraiser. Saturday, cook and clean for the upcoming week ( i try to get it all done in one day so that dinner is made and the house is decent for the upcoming week) and Sunday we are going to a fundraiser for Steven's job in Pennsylvania somewhere. I'm tired just writing about all the things i need to do. Plus, of course, there is laundry, homework, grading papers and lesson planning and probably a few things i haven't mentioned.
Well, back to studying. Wish me luck.
Today i am thankful for:
1. A good night sleep
2. My sister
3. The Bible, which gives me direction and helps me keep perspective and reminds me how much God loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment